قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Two Fargo women hospitalized, one in a coma – father blames 'laced weed'

Two Fargo women hospitalized, one in a coma – father blames 'laced weed'



Sierra Brown, 19, of Fargo, said she was numbness in Sanford Medical Center on Sunday, June 9.

The other woman, 19,

Randall Brown in the room, Sierra Brown turned girlfriend.

 WDAY logo



"All they can tell me is in a coma and she's fighting for her life," she said.

Randall Brown described the situation as "terrible."

"By the time I got to the hospital, they were there and it was pretty frantic at that point, "h e said. "

Early Monday morning, he posted about the incident on Facebook, saying teens, young adults and parents should be on the alert in case more" laced weed "is on the streets.

A police spokesperson would only say that at 5:28 pm Sunday, officers responded to the 1

000 block of Third Street North for a medical assist. They found a 19-year-old woman unresponsive in her breathing and she was taken to the hospital.

Randall Brown said on the symptoms of the two women, doctors told him the marijuana may have been tainted with rat poison or insecticide, perhaps to mask the smell during transportation, or it may have contained a synthetic drug.

Dr. Heidi Lako-Adamson, health officer for Fargo Cass Public Health, said some synthetic drugs are cut or mixed with toxic chemicals, like rat poison, to make the "high" last longer.

"This is very dangerous, especially with the

Sierra Brown said she bought the marijuana at Fargo on the evening of Saturday, June 8, from a person she was familiar with, and went to her girlfriend's

The two women and another friend smoked one joint, watched by Netflix and fell asleep, she said.

Brown said when she woke up the next morning, she had no feeling in her right leg slept on it wrong and went back to sleep, only to wake up around 2pm with her leg still numb.

She called her father, who offered to take her to a doctor. However, he lives in Hillsboro, ND, a 45-minute drive away.

"Because I'm like, I can not walk. I'm freaking out, "Sierra Brown said.

At the same time, Brown was unable to make her friend, but was not overly concerned because she's a heavy sleeper.

A few hours after arriving at the hospital

Randall Brown said his daughter had high levels of creatine kinase, or CK, in her system. CK is a type of protein

"The levels these girls had in their systems was off the charts. They'd never see it, "Randall Brown said.

He said his daughter was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis.

Dr. Lako-Adamson said the breakdown of muscle, brought on by any number of medical issues, including heart attack, sepsis, a virus, or ingestion of a toxin. It may lead to kidney failure, neurological problems, loss of limb, and death.

Randall Brown said while he was told CK levels are usually around 100, his daughter's what at 26,000 when she was brought in, and her friend's what even higher.

He said his daughter's friend took the first hit off the joint that night, followed by his daughter and the third friend, who had no ill effects.

"I do not know if there's any sense to it was, but it would seem like it was being released by the flame, and it probably burns off very quickly, but they both got a pretty heavy dose,

Dr. Lako-Adamson said people are taking a chance with synthetic drugs, or drugs that could possibly be contaminated by toxic chemicals.

Sierra Brown is expected to leave the hospital this week, and wants to leave with a walker due to the weakness in her legs.

She could have had kidney or other problems down the road, according to her father.

Including post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety disorder.

Even though medical marijuana was approved by North Dakota voters in 2016, it's becoming available in the state.

Instead of seeking medical marijuana, his daughter buys off the streets to cope with her conditions, he said.

"This never should have happened," he said.

So Randall Brown thinks there is more of the tainted marijuana out there.

"I do not think this is the last we're gonna hear." of this, "he said.


Source link