Sierra Brown, 19, of Fargo, reported that she suffered from numbness in her leg and could not walk until she was taken to the Sanford Medical Center emergency room on Sunday, June 9.
The other woman, also 19, was later taken to the hospital by ambulance after being found unresponsive by family members.
The next day at the hospital with her father Randall Brown in the room, Sierra Brown expressed her concern for the other woman and described her as a childhood friend. Become a friend.
"You can only tell me that she is in a coma and is fighting for her life," she said.
The other woman's parents asked that her daughter's name not be used and I did not want to comment on this story.
Randall Brown described the situation as "terrible."
"When I arrived at the hospital, the police were there and it was pretty hectic at the time," he said, "They had no idea what they were dealing with." 59002] Early Monday morning, he wrote on Facebook about the incident, saying that teenagers, young adults and parents should be on guard in case there is more "tied weed" on the streets. [Tuesday, June 1
A police spokesman said this at 5:28 pm On Sunday, June 9, officials responded to Third Street North's 1,000 block requesting medical assistance. They found a 19-year-old woman unresponsive, but breathing, and she was taken to the hospital.
The police refused to provide any further information except that the incident continues to be investigated. Said the two women, the doctors told him that marijuana may be a rat poison or an insecticide contaminated to hide the smell during transport, or it may have contained a synthetic drug. Heidi Lako-Adamson, health officer of Fargo Cass Public Health, said some synthetic drugs are cut or mixed with toxic chemicals, such as rat poison, to keep the "high" longer.
"This is very dangerous, especially with the type of marijuana that children and adults use today," she said.
Sierra Brown said she had bought the marijuana on Saturday night, June 8, in Fargo from a trusted person and had gone to her girlfriend's house.
The two women and another friend smoked a joint, saw Netflix, and fell asleep, she said.
Brown said when she woke up the next morning, she had no feeling in her right leg. She thought she had slept wrong and fell asleep again, only to wake up at 2:00 pm. with still numb leg.
At the same time, Brown could not wake her friend, but was not overly worried because she has a heavy sleep.
A few hours after she arrived at the hospital, she received a phone call. According to Randall Brown, her friend was no longer approachable and was taken there by ambulance.
According to Randall Brown, his daughter's doctors had dangerously high levels of creatine kinase or CK in their system. CK is a type of protein that muscle cells need to work.
"The values these girls had in their system were not in the charts. They never saw it, "Randall Brown said.
His daughter was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis.
Dr. Lako-Adamson said the condition causes muscle loss, which is caused by a number of medical problems, including Heart attack, sepsis, virus, or taking a toxin, it can lead to kidney failure, neurological problems, loss of a limb, and death.
Randall Brown said that while his CK values were usually around 100, his was Daughter at 26,000 when she was brought in, and her girlfriend's even higher.
He said his daughter's boyfriend had taken the first punch of the joint that night, followed by his daughter and the third friend who had no negative impact
"I do not know if there is any meaning to it, but it does seem like it's activated by the flame and probably burned down very quickly, abe They both got a pretty high dose, "he said, referring to his daughter and her friend.
Dr. According to Lako-Adamson, people risk synthetic drugs or drugs that may be contaminated by toxic chemicals. "We will not find out until someone dies or is very ill," she said.
Sierra Brown is expected to leave the hospital this week and be sent with a walker because of leg weakness. She will need physical therapy to be able to walk normally again.
According to her father, she could later have kidney or other problems.
He said his daughter could have a prescription for medical marijuana based on several conditions. including post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety disorder.
Although medical marijuana was approved by voters in North Dakota in 2016, it is only slowly available in the state.
Instead of seeking medical marijuana, his daughter buys a pot from the street to cope with her conditions, he said.
"That should never have happened," he said.
Randall Brown also believes that there is probably more spoiled marijuana.
"I do not think that's the last thing we'll hear about it," he said.