The consequences of food poisoning can be absolutely terrible, with nausea and stomach pain just a few of the most unpleasant symptoms.
However, it is very rare to associate alopecia with the consumption of a seedy pumpkin
Two cases of women with hair loss after consuming a plant from the cucurbit family have recently been reported, with one expert from St. Louis Hospital in Paris, that more people should become aware of this unusual side effect.
Cucurbitaceae family included melon, pumpkin, squash and cucumber.
In a report published by the Journal of the American Medical Association two separate occasions were highlighted where cucurbit food poisoning led to significant alopecia.
In the first case, an adult woman began to suffer from digestive problems such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea after eating bitter pumpkin soup.
Members of her family Whoever had the soup also suffered from the same stomach problems.
However, she was the only one who suffered hair loss after a week on her head and pubic area after consuming most of the soup.
In addition to the loss of hair, other areas of her hair were Trichorrhexis nodosa, which makes hair brittle and brittle.
Two months later, hair on scalp areas most affected by alopecia had grown to a length of 2 cm.
In the second case, another woman suffered a long, severe vomiting phase for an hour after eating a squash meal.
She was the only one of her dinner parties to endure food poisoning as the others avoided eating the pumpkin because of her bitter taste.
Three weeks after the incident, the woman had reportedly lost hair on her head, armpits, and pubic area.
Six months later, her hair in both affected areas had grown by 6 cm Alopecia and Trichorrhexis nodosa
Philippe Assouly, a dermatologist at Saint Louis Hospital, has found that the presence of a toxin called cucurbitacin in squash and squash, the gives the food a bitter taste, most likely responsible for the food poisoning that led to hair loss.
Cucurbit family plants are often bred to have a lower cucurbitacin content which, in turn, makes them taste sweeter.
Therefore, it is important that people become more aware of this harmful side effect of food poisoning, which can be attributed to higher levels of cucurbitacin.