Delil Souleiman / AFP / Getty Images
The Pentagon, U.S. Military personnel in Syria are moving ahead with President Trump's order to pull out of the war-torn country.
U.S. Pat. Syria's force in Syria has "started the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria," said Col. Sean Ryan, spokesman for the Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve. More than 2,000 U.S. troops are currently deployed in Syria.
In the past 24 hours, U.S. Forces have withdrawn 10 vehicles and 150 personnel from the Rmelan military base, one of the first installations of the US-led coalition established in Syria in 2014, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Those military vehicles were seen traveling to Iraq;
The Defense Department did not directly address that report. Ryan said.
News of the first steps of a withdrawal from the US is negotiating with Turkey about guaranteeing protections for US-allied Kurdish fighters. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government considers the Kurdish YPG militia in Syria to be a terrorist organization linked to Kurdish separatist groups in Turkey.
On Friday, U.S. national security adviser John Bolton said those talks will continue into next week. They're taking place as Erdogan says he's ready for a possible operation in northern Syria.
Questions have swirled around the withdrawal or trump made the unexpected announcement last month. It also sparked criticisms that the U.S. ISIS is truly defeated – abandoning America's Kurdish allies in the region, ceding hard-to-influence to Turkey, and rewarding Russia's intervention alongside the Syrian regime.
Turkey welcomed Trump's surprise to the Pentagon, while other US NATO allies said they received no notice. Secretary Jim Mattis and Brett McGurk, the president's special envoy to the coalition fighting, ISIS.
The timeline for withdrawal has come to an end White House, which has been receiving complaints about its mission in Syria and its broader priorities in the Middle East.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is currently on an eight-day tour to try to ease concerns about Trump's policies the region. On Thursday, Pompeo declared that the U.S. is a "force for good" in the Middle East. On Friday, he told Egyptian state TV that the U.S. he wants to pull out of Syria as the president ordered, "but we are doing so in a way that makes sense, that is orderly, that does everything we can to ensure the security of those who are defeating the caliphate inside of Syria. "
When Trump ordered the U.S. Pullout on Dec. 19, he declared victory over ISIS and said, "Our boys, our young women, our men, they're all coming back, and they're coming back now."
But after the resignations of Mattis and McGurk and amid a wave of bipartisan criticism in Washington, Trump hinted at a longer timeframe. On Dec. 23 he said there would be a "slow & highly coordinated pullout of US troops from the area."
Bolton said last weekend in Jerusalem that the deadlock is not a deadline.  "The withdrawal of the withdrawal is the withdrawal of the patient." ISIS and the future of the Kurdish fighters in Syria.
Bolton's comments angered Erdogan, who abruptly canceled a planned meeting earlier this week.
Instead, Kurdish fighters and said his country will allow no concession in his war against terrorism.