The word of the biggest star of the UFC is not enough to influence promotion president Dana White.
White said Thursday he would not comply with Conor McGregor's recent command to fight Frankie Edgar, arguing that the former lightweight champion had not earned the opportunity to seal Edgar's latest decision to move to bantamweight him out.
"That Frankie Edgar will not happen," White said. "Frankie is two weight classes under him. (Edgar) is in a position; He was to fight Aljamain Sterling, and Aljamain dropped out and was injured.
"Frankie has reached the end of his career and could return to a title position." So it makes no sense to start the Conor fight.
McGregor, whose return to the UFC was delayed by a broken hand in July, turned up on Twitter on Wednesday to release his latest declaration of warfare. He called White in response to an exchange with Edgar, who told his ex-champion he had already agreed to fight.
The couple wanted to fight once after McGregor won the featherweight belt from Jose Aldo. Instead, McGregor moved into the lightweight division, and its historic success took them on different paths.
Edgar announced his move to £ 135 after suffering a heart-wrenching setback against featherweight champion Max Holloway on his last attempt to conquer UFC Gold. He was scheduled to play against Sterling at UFC 244 next month, but a wrist injury from "Funkmaster" eliminated the opportunity.
It is not the first time that McGregor's demands have been rejected by White. But the UFC president said the star is still going to return to the octagon.
"I think Conor will fight next year," White said.