It is reported that the United States Cyber Command launched an operation Thursday against an Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps espionage group, even though President Donald Trump abolished a direct military strike at the last minute, former intelligence officials said in a Yahoo! News report with.
The Iranian group is said to have supported attacks on two tankers early last week, leading the US to expand its military stance on the country. The group was reportedly following and targeting both military and civilian vessels cruising the Strait of Hormuz.
President Donald Trump resigned Thursday after shooting down a US drone on Wednesday from retaliating against the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps. According to a New York Times report, officials had planned to strike on Friday before dawn and decided to target radar and rocket batteries.
Trump claimed he was "tense and loaded" to attack Iranian targets, but decided to abandon the plans after being told that the attack could cost an estimated 1
"[Ten] minutes before the strike, I stopped him, which is not in proportion to the launch of an unmanned drone," Trump said in a tweet. "I'm in no hurry, our military is rebuilt, new and operational, by far the best in the world, the sanctions are pungent and were added last night, Iran can NEVER have nuclear weapons, not against the US and not against the world "
Trump has given CYBERCOM, the US military command of cyber operations, considerable autonomy and given him permission during his presidency to take aggressive action against foreign opponents. The new strategy allows CYBERCOM to perform some of its operations without consulting the White House officials or other government agencies.
"Our hands are no longer as tied up as in the Obama administration," said national security adviser John Bolton in 2018.
Current and past US officials say Iran could try to target cyberattacks against the US Light of the US government launching hostilities, according to The Wall Street Journal. In 2016, the Department of Justice accused seven Iranians of allegedly coordinating cyber-financial attacks, which resulted in "hundreds of thousands of customers failing to access their accounts and tens of millions of dollars spending on businesses trying to stay online through these attacks."
"These were not ordinary crimes, but calculated attacks by groups linked to the Islamic Revolutionary Guards of Iran, specifically designed to harm America and its people," said US Attorney Preet Bharara in a statement. "We now live in a world where devastating attacks on our financial system, our infrastructure and our way of life can be launched with a mouse click from anywhere in the world."