WASHINGTON – The Pentagon's Africa Command said he had unleashed the deadliest attack on Islamist extremist group Shabab in nearly a year, killing around 60 fighters in central Somalia
The strike took place on Friday Proximity instead of Harardhere, about 300 miles northeast of Mogadishu, Somalia's capital, the military said in a statement. The commanders of the African High Command did not provide any further details, except to say that they had not killed or injured civilians, suggesting that the militants were in a camp or were assembling in an attack.
The strike came after a renewed wave of attacks against the Shabab Somali security forces and their American advisors across the country
"These ongoing attacks demonstrate that Shabab retains the ability to launch conventional offensives in addition to its terrorist capability," said Bill Roggio, editor of FDD Long War Journal, a website of the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies pursued military strikes against militant groups.
In its statement, the Africa Command said last week's strike was the deadliest against the Shabab since an air raid against a Shabab camp northwest of Mogadishu on Nov. 21 killed about 100 fighters.
So far this year in Somalia, the United States has carried out 27 strikes, including by drone strikes, especially against small numbers of Shabab fighters. This surpasses last year's attacks against the group.
In 2017, the military carried out 35 air strikes in Somalia – 31 against Shabab fighters and four against fighters of the Islamic State, said Roggio.
The attacks The Shabab, the al-Qaeda party in East Africa, highlights the resilience of al-Qaida's regional weapons and the Islamic state in places like Yemen, Libya, West Africa and Afghanistan.
"Shabab is leading a ruthless campaign of bombings and assassinations" Russell Travers, incumbent director of the National Counterterrorism Center said last week the Homeland Security Committee of the Senate.
This past weekend marked the one-year anniversary of the Shabab's deadliest attack, a truck bombing in Mogadishu that killed well over 500 people.
There are now about 500 American soldiers in Somalia; most of them are special forces, including Armeegreen Berets, Marine Raiders and Navy SEALs, stationed in a small constellation of bases throughout the East African nation.
For more than a decade, they have been training and fighting with local troops in Somalia. Meanwhile, the Pentagon has once again shown concern over the Shabab, which was also responsible for another of the deadliest terrorist attacks on the African continent when it struck a popular mall in 2013 in Nairobi, Kenya, where at least 67 victims were killed
American military officials have expressed concern that the group is growing again – even after losing much of its territory in Somalia in recent years – American drone strikes
In June, an American Special Forces soldier, Staff Sgt. Alexander W. Conrad, 26, of Chandler, Ariz., Was killed in an attack in southwestern Somalia against Shabab fighters, and four others were wounded, three Defense Department officials said ,
At that time, Sergeant Conrad's death was the death of Sergeant Conrad's second American combat loss in Somalia in about a year. In May 2017, a member of the Navy SEALs, Senior Chief Petty Officer Kyle Milliken, was killed and two other American troops injured in a robbery.
The victims were the first to be released in Africa for a year Ambush in Niger in October 2017 killed four American soldiers.