Maybe Newports are the safer option.
E-cigarettes are on the rise in the last five years. Many have the impression that they are a safer alternative to cigarettes, but that may not be true. According to NBC, the jaw of a 17-year-old boy shattered after an incident with an e-cigarette.
Matt Cardy / Getty Images
Austin Adams had his mother buy the device while trying to replace tobacco products with tobacco products. E-cigarettes. During use, the e-cigarette exploded, knocking out some of his teeth and shattering his jaw. His mother explained that the rural Nevada family was forced to travel to the nearest hospital for five hours to treat his injury. "This kid had a serious lower jaw injury and lip burns," Dr. Katie Russell, one of the accident surgeons who treated Adams. "He did not remember that he had previously done something wrong with the device, and it just exploded."
Last week, the FDA finalized a new guideline for manufacturers of tobacco products and e-cigarettes, which suggests that companies provide information about the environment the batteries they use for fear of overheating. According to the FDA, e-cigarettes explode when the lithium-ion battery in the pen overheats.
Dr. Jonathan Skirko, a pediatric otorhinolaryngologist who helped Adams, said the blast had completely ripped the boy's gums. "The tissue was vaporized," Dr. Skirko.