قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Vibrio: The inhabitant of Virginia dies after being exposed to a carnivorous bacterium

Vibrio: The inhabitant of Virginia dies after being exposed to a carnivorous bacterium



A resident of Virginia has died from an infection with an aquatic bacterium that eats meat.

The person came in contact with the carnivorous Vibrio bacteria. Virginia Department of Health officials did not release the person's name or other details about the resident, citing privacy laws.

Katherine McCombs, an epidemiological food hygiene program coordinator at the Department of Health, said the person died from a Vibrio infection. She said she could not tell when the person died or got in contact with the bacteria. She said it happened in the eastern region of the health system, which includes the Hampton Roads area.

This year, 23 people in Virginia have contracted illnesses linked to Vibrio, according to health officials, who have risen slightly from last year. Death is the first in Virginia this year.

Vibrio is a naturally occurring bacterium found in brackish or warm salt water that can cause serious infections. The most common species that cause disease in Virginia are Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Vibrio vulnificus according to health authorities

The person who died in Virginia suffered an infection by Vibrio vulnificus Bacteria. It is rarer and is often not reported, according to the country's Ministry of Health. Vibrio vulnificus is more commonly found in states along the Gulf Coast. In Virginia, according to state health authorities, fewer than 1

0 cases are reported annually.

In Vibrio vulnificus diseases, a person typically becomes infected when exposed to an open or open wound exposed to brackish water that becomes contaminated with the bacteria. Symptoms include redness around the wound, swelling at the interface, fever, fatigue, and generally "bad feeling," McCombs said.

In New Jersey, a man who had been crawling near Delaware Bay died from a Vibrio infection earlier this month. Angel Perez's family said he had gone to the emergency department of a hospital with redness and blisters on his legs several times. It was later discovered that Vibrio bacteria had found their way into a cut or an open wound on his leg.

Doctors had mistakenly diagnosed Perez by accident as having a bacterial infection, his family said. Another time, it was thought to be cellulite. Eventually the infection spread and was present in all four limbs.

The other type, Vibrio parahaemolyticus is more common in Virginia. You can become infected after eating raw or under-cooked shellfish.

Symptoms include nausea, stomach cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. Typically, the symptoms occur 12 to 24 hours after exposure.

Some strands of Vibrio can be life-threatening.

According to Florida's Department of Health, "Bacteria can invade the bloodstream and cause a serious and life-threatening illness." threatening illness with symptoms such as fever, chills, low blood pressure (septic shock) and blistering of the skin. "Patients with wound infection sometimes also need" amputation of the infected limb. "

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say that Vibriose causes about 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths each year in the United States, with most infections occurring between May and "Health is warmer in October."

Virginia health officials also said they see more infections reported in the summer when bacteria in the water reproduce faster, McCombs said, "during the summer months, people are more likely to go to the beach and be more exposed than in winter. "

To avoid infection, anyone who has a cut or wound should avoid salt or brackish water. When a cut or wound is exposed, officials suggest to wash the wound with soap and clean water.

The residents were also advised, only completely to eat cooked shellfish.

People with liver or kidney disease, diabetes or weakened immune systems are up to 80 times more likely to develop Vibrio vulnificus than those otherwise healthy, the health officer said.

Anyone who has symptoms of Vibrio infection and thinks he or she may have come in contact with the bacteria should contact a doctor, officials said.


Source link