قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Voters in an English city warn London: "Do not betray our Brexit"

Voters in an English city warn London: "Do not betray our Brexit"



CHESTERFIELD, England (Reuters) – While Britain is considering leaving the European Union, some voters in an old English city have a message for London politicians: Do not betray Brexit.

FILE PHOTO: A protestor against Brexit can be seen on January 1

7, 2019, in front of the Houses of Parliament in London, UK. REUTERS / Clodagh Kilcoyne / File Photo

The UK's labyrinth crisis over EU membership is approaching the final with an extraordinary array of options, including a no-deal brexit, a last-minute deal, a quick fix or a delay and a new referendum.

In Chesterfield, a north-facing city that was able to leave the EU in the UK, some voters believed that they would prefer to go out without agreement, and turn away from politics when Brexit thwarts would.

"It does not have to be a deal – and we will not all die and fall apart. We are Great Britain, remember! Said Valerie Quigley, 70, a holiday supporter who is traditionally voting for the conservative party led by Prime Minister Theresa May.

Quigley, who has been a women's fashion business for 26 years, said May has done a good job in difficult conditions.

"If someone else thinks they can do better than Theresa May, let them do it," Quigley said.

"I think in Brussels and in the EU they are scared to death that we are going."

The answers in Chesterfield are unscientifically small, but the gap between the 17.4 million withdrawals and one mainly in London-based elite sees Brexit as harmful.

May, once a reluctant supporter of EU membership who won the top job in the turmoil after the 2016 Brexit referendum, has warned that the vote threatens social cohesion by believing in British democracy undermines.

SPLIT NATION

In a move that could overthrow centuries of the Constitutional Convention, some legislators want to seize control of Brexit from the government to prevent it from becoming an economically catastrophic no-deal exit.

In 2016, 51.9 percent of voters supported leaving the EU, while 48.1 percent favored whereabouts.

Surveys show that the United Kingdom is still deeply divided, although a narrow majority now prefers.

Research shows that very few MPs have changed their minds and that some polls indicate growing support for another referendum, but the results vary according to the wording of the question.

In Chesterfield, a market town 150 miles (240 km) north of London, which traces its history back to Roman times and is famed for a crooked church, voters knew they would be with the UK club wanting a clean break in 1973.

"We voted to remain in the European Union or to leave the European Union. There was no box for a deal. I voted to leave, "said 51-year-old David Mawson, who runs a mobility company.

No deal means that there would be no transition, so the exit would be abrupt – the nightmare scenario for international companies and the dream of "hard" Brexiteers who want a crucial breakup.

Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said leaving the EU without transition may be akin to the oil shock of the 1970s, although some Brexitians say such forecasts are scare tactics.

Chesterfield MP Toby Perkins of the opposition Labor Party warned last year at a nearby Toyota factory of a no-deal Brexit that would have devastating effects on the automotive industry.

The factory employs nearly 80 people from Chesterfield, Perkins said. Toyota said a no-deal Brexit could temporarily stop production at the plant.

DEMOCRACY AT STAKE

Perkins, whose constituency was controlled for much of the 20th century, voted in favor of remaining in the referendum in 2016, but voted against May's deal on January 15.

Deborah Chattaway, a The 52-year-old seamstress has voted Labor in the 2017 elections but said she would not vote for them again. She voted in favor of remaining in the EU, but fears a no-deal Brexit and believes that Labor and other parties should gather in May.

"I think all the parties, Labor and the rest, have to stand behind Theresa May to secure a good deal for the country and enforce it, best for all," she said.

But the fear of "betrayal" is acute.

"If they go back in this vote, how can we vote on anything again?" Said Mawson, who had voted Conservative in recent elections.

Former factory worker Jesse Lilley, 66, formerly elected the Labor Party, believes that he no longer represents the working class.

He wants to leave without a deal and is worried that politicians will stop Brexit.

"They're going to undo the Pandora box and they do not know what's coming out," Lilley said.

"Tell her and then say that we will have another choice or another choice? People just will not worry about it. It will cause problems for the next twenty years.

Letter from Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source link