قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Washington woman dead from brain-eating amoebae after using net pot filled with tap water, report says

Washington woman dead from brain-eating amoebae after using net pot filled with tap water, report says



A woman from Seattle, Washington, whose brain was in part a "bloody pulp" after rare, brain-eating amoeba had infected her, was likely to contract the organisms after finding a net. Pot with tap water used for cleaning had paranasal sinuses, according to a report.

The woman who was not identified was admitted to the Swedish Medical Center earlier this year after a seizure, the Seattle Times reported. An initial CT scan showed what doctors thought was a tumor.

But they soon learned that what was in the woman's skull was not a tumor at all.

& # 39; BRAIN-EATING & # 39; AMOEBA, THE NEW JERSEY KILL MAN WAS FROM TEXAS WATER PARK: REPORT

"When I operated this woman, a section of her brain the size of a golf ball," said Charles Cobbs, a neurosurgeon at the Swedish Medical Center The Seattle Times. "There were these amoebas everywhere that only ate brain cells."

"We had no idea what was going on," he added.

Tissue taken from the woman's brain during the procedure later confirmed the presence of amoeba, especially Balamuthia mandrillaris, which cause a rare but potentially fatal brain-feeding infection known as granulomatous amoebic encephalitis (GAE ), it says in the publication.

The 69-year-old woman died in February ̵

1; About a month after the doctors discovered the amoeba in her brain and about a year after her initial infection.

According to a recent study published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, doctors believe that the woman was probably infected when she used tap water in her neti pot, a teapot-like vessel used to rinse out the nasal passages.

Brain-EATING AMOEBA: WHAT IS IT AND HOW TO AVOID THE CONTRACTION MATERIAL? Water "rose to the nose of the woman" to [the] olfactory nerves in the upper part of her nasal cavity, "reported the Seattle Times, which eventually led to an infection that first appeared as a red sore on the nose.

An incredibly uncommon illness, it was not on every radar that this initial wound was related to her brain, "said Keenan Piper, employee of the Swedish Medical Center and co-author of the study.

The health authorities Only use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to rinse the sinuses, tap water may contain tiny organisms that can be drunk safely but could survive in nasal passages, meaning the woman's case was rare In 2017, there were only three similar cases in the US, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Source link