A Florida man died after being tortured with carnivorous bacteria that forced doctors to remove more than 25% of his body's skin, his family said.
David Ireland, 50, of Orlando, died on Thursday After completing several surgeries to stop the spread of necrotizing fasciitis caused by Group A streptococcus, his brother Daniel Ireland announced on a fundraising page which was set up for David's wife Jody and her two daughters.
We will all miss him very much, "he wrote.
Daniel Ireland declined to speak TODAY, citing Jody Ireland's request for privacy.
The family did not know how David Ireland ̵
Ireland recently noticed a small cut, and then his leg began to ache, first at the knee and then at the hip, his mother Lois Ireland told ClickOrlando. com.
"The next thing you know is Strep A," she said. "It traveled extremely fast."
David Ireland was in critical condition in the intensive care unit of a hospital in Orlando, where his kidneys failed and doctors removed more than a quarter of his skin to try to stop the infection from succeeding, his brother wrote.
According to his mother, David Ireland suffered from diabetes, a condition that weakens the body's immune system and increases the risk of bacterial infection.
Who can get the infection?
] Anyone can develop necrosing fasciitis. One study found that 9,871 deaths occurred between 2003 and 2013 in the United States. The researchers found no significant change in the mortality rate over time.
The microbes that can live in coastal waters invade the body through a cut, burn, bite insects or break in the skin and then attack the muscles and other organs that quickly destroy the tissue.
In addition to diabetes, immune-compromised conditions such as kidney disease, liver cirrhosis and cancer can increase the risk of infection.
Some experts believe that there may be cases of necrotizing fasciitis due to climate change, with rising water temperatures possibly responsible for falls in the Gulf of Mexico and other waters, including previously rarely affected waters in Delaware Bay. The bacteria thrive when the water is warmer. Stacey Baker, an infectious disease specialist in Miami, Florida, told NBC News.
After infection, the infection spreads very rapidly, requiring rapid antibiotic treatment and immediate surgery for disease control and prevention. Up to one in three patients dies.
Group A Strep – the same bacteria that cause throat infections – are considered to be the most common cause, but other types of bacteria such as Vibrio vulnificus may be responsible. However, contact with Strep or V. vulnificus of group A rarely results in infection in healthy humans.
What are the symptoms?
Watch out for warning signs like:
- a red or swollen area of skin that spreads rapidly
- severe pain
- change in skin color
- one or more black spots on Skin
- Ulcers or blisters on the skin
If antibiotics can not reach all infected areas because the bacteria have killed too much tissue and decreased blood flow, doctors need to surgically remove the dead tissue, the CDC noted.
How To Protect Yourself:
- Clean all small cuts, blisters, and wounds with soap and water.
- Cover draining or open wounds with clean, dry bandages until they heal.
- If you have an open wound, avoid swimming pools, hot tubs and natural waters such as lakes, rivers and oceans.