A Canadian teenager whose corpse was discovered on a school trip died of a toxic shock syndrome caused by a tampon, according to a medical examiner.
Sara Manitoski, 16, of British Columbia, was found dead in March 2017 during a night school outing on Hornby Island, near Vancouver Island, CTVNews reports.
The teenager had complained of discomfort and cramping while attending In activities on March 14, the reported Comox Valley Record .
That night, Manitoski was "heard breathing fast and shallow in the middle of the night, and then stopped," according to a report released on Monday by Corioler Service of British Columbia
The next day believed her roommates from Georges P. Vanier Secondary School that she slept and had her go to breakfast, but when she returned, she still seemed to be sleeping, though her alarm went off st was.
Pupils, school staff and emergency responders performed CPR on Manitoski, but were unable to return to 11th grade. A bacterium called Staphylococcus aureus was found on the tampon the teenager used.
Coroner Courtney Cote noted in her report: "[These] Findings, as well as the symptoms that Sara showed just before her death all coincided I find that Sara Marie Manitoski died of a toxic shock syndrome as a result of Staphylococcus aureus on Hornby Island on March 15, 2017. I classify this death as natural. "
The condition is rare, but life-threatening and is caused when bacteria enter the body and trigger the release of harmful toxins.
The toxic shock syndrome escalates rapidly and can be fatal if not treated promptly. The symptoms include a temperature of 102.F or higher, flu-like symptoms such as headache, chills, sore throat and cough. Nausea, diarrhea, a sunburn-like rash, bright red lips, eyes and tongue, dizziness, difficulty breathing and confusion and drowsiness are also symptoms.
Women under the age of 30 are at greatest risk because they have not developed the child's antibodies to the toxin that causes the condition. Although it is commonly associated with the use of tampons, it can affect people of all ages, including men.
Those who use more absorbent tampons than necessary or wear a tampon longer than necessary also have a greater chance of developing the condition.
Over the past two decades, rates of toxic shock syndrome in the US and Canada have dropped significantly.