A Texas woman sued a Chinese buffet for $ 1 million in damages after allegedly becoming ill with "Fried Rice syndrome" caused by Bacillus cereus bacteria. Germaine Mobley, 62, said she went to lunch at the Asian King Buffet in Waxahachie in 2016 and landed in an ICU after the meal.
In the lawsuit against the restaurant, Mobley claimed that she ordered fried rice. After eating her food, she began to vomit, and the next morning, she had trouble breathing.
"Everything tasted good," Mobley told news channel WFMY, adding that she was hospitalized the next day. Mobley said she had been in intensive care for eight days where she had a respirator.
"The Fried Rice syndrome sounds like a joke, but it's very serious," Mobley's attorney Kathryn Knotts told The Dallas News. "You (Asian King) did not keep the food at the right temperature or kept it out for a long time."
The owner of the Asian royal buffet, however, denied Mobley's allegations that the prosecution was inaccurate, and the restaurant's food did not make the woman sick.
The bacteria that cause the fried rice syndrome, Bacillus cereus, are often found in foods that are kept at room temperature. According to the Food and Drug Administration, the symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and convulsions. The symptoms usually last no longer than a day or two. Bacillus cereus or B. cereus is a type of bacteria that produces toxins. A variety of foods, especially rice and food remnants, and other prepared foods that have endured too long at room temperature can develop the bacteria.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information suggests that to prevent Bacillus cereus, "rice should be cooked. After cooking, the rice should either be kept hot (> 63 ° C) or cooled quickly and within two hours of cooking should be stored in a refrigerator or fried rice should not be stored under warm conditions, especially in the range of 1