قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / WHO reaffirms its commitment to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, with the Ebola outbreak nearing more than 1000 cases and increasing violence

WHO reaffirms its commitment to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, with the Ebola outbreak nearing more than 1000 cases and increasing violence



As the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) continues to increase in violence against 1,000 cases, WHO reiterated its commitment to both end the outbreak and work with the government and communities to build resilient health systems ,

The outbreak was declared in August 2018 for 993 confirmed and probable cases and 621 deaths in the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri.

"We use words like" cases "and" containment "to be scientific, but behind every number is a person, a family, and a community that suffers," said the WHO Director-General. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. "This outbreak has taken far too long. We owe it to the people of North Kivu to work in solidarity with them, not just to end this outbreak as quickly as possible, but to build health systems that address the many other health threats they face on a daily basis. "

More than 96 000 people have been vaccinated against Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo, along with health professionals in Uganda and South Sudan. As of 21

March, 38 out of 130 affected healthcare areas have active transmission. Over 44 million border studies have helped slow Ebola's proliferation in this highly mobile population. No cases have spread beyond the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri, and there have been no cases beyond international borders.

However, the danger of national and regional spread remains very high, especially when violence and instability influence the response.

When we mourn the loss of life, we must also acknowledge that thousands of people have been protected from this terrible disease, "said Drs. Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa. "We work in exceptionally difficult situations, but thanks to the support of donors and the efforts of the Ministry of Health, WHO and partners, we have saved thousands of lives."

WHO employs and employs more than 700 people in the Democratic Republic of the Congo Engage closely with partners to listen to the communities affected, address their concerns, and give them more ownership of the response, especially in the current outbreaks of Katwa and Butembo.

"The communities affected by this outbreak are already traumatized by conflict," Dr. Tedros. "Her fear of violence is now compounded by Ebola anxiety. Community engagement takes time. There are no quick fixes. But we learn and adapt daily to the evolving context.

Despite the challenges, most communities accept response interventions. More than 90% of vaccine users accept this and agree to follow-up after vaccination. Independent analyzes of the vaccine data show that the vaccine protects at least 95% of those who receive it on time. Over 80% of people also accept safe and dignified burials, a key to preventing transmission.

"Despite the growing number of attacks by armed groups, WHO will maintain the course and work with communities to end this outbreak jointly with the Department of Health and its partners," said Dr. Tedros. "We need increased support from the international community and a commitment to push together to end this outbreak."

Over the next six months, the total financial needs of all partners will be at least $ 148 million. By March 19, $ 74 million had been received.

"We are counting on donors helping to close the funding gap so that we can end this outbreak as soon as possible," said Drs. Tedros. "We will be in the Democratic Republic of the Congo long after this eruption ends and work with the government and communities to move towards universal health care. We are committed to improving the health of the people of the Democratic Republic of the Congo now and in the years to come. "


Source link