A New Jersey man is at least the eighth US tourist who dies in the Dominican Republic in a series of deaths that the FBI investigates.
Relatives of 55-year-old Joseph Allen say he was healthy and frequent visitors to the Caribbean island nation.
Several of the tourists who died last year have been drinking from their hotel minibar before illness, family members say.
The FBI supports local authorities in toxicological tests. No connection was established between the deaths.
What happened in the last case?
Joseph Allen's family said he arrived at the Terra Linda Resort in Sosua on June 9th to celebrate a friend's birthday.
told his sister ABC that on June 1
The next day he did not answer knock on his door. When a maid entered, she found him cold and stiff on the floor.
His 23-year-old son, who had flown there to be with him on Father's Day, landed to discover him was dead.
Jason Allen told NBC, "We want to find some degree, what is going on and why this is happening. "
His family is currently trying to repatriate his body to the United States, where they hope an autopsy will reveal his cause of death.
- Country profile of the Dominican Republic
Who else died?
Man from California Robert Bell Wallace, 67, died on April 14 after suffering from the hard rock hotel and casino in Punta Cana.
John Corcoran died in his hotel room the same month, as reported by his sister Barbara Corcoran starring on television show Shark Tank. She attributed his death to "natural causes".
Miranda Schaup-Werner, a 41-year-old from Pennsylvania, died on May 25 after drinking from her hotel minibar.
Her body was found hours after checking into the luxurious Bahia Principe Bouganville.
On May 30, a hotel employee discovered the bodies of Cynthia Ann Day (49) and Edward Nathaniel Holmes (63) in their rooms.
Local investigators say both have internal bleeding and fluid in the lungs.
The death of Leyla Cox (53) on June 11 was confirmed by the State Department. Her son has questioned the official verdict that she had suffered a fatal heart attack, pulmonary edema, and respiratory failure.
David Harrison died at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino last July. His wife said he had snorkeled the day before his death.
Maybe it's just a coincidence?
Local officials have labeled the deaths "unrelated and isolated" and attributed them to natural causes.
The US Embassy in Santo Domingo said there was still no evidence that the cases were related.
The deaths represent a tiny percentage of Americans vacationing on the island every year.
Seven million tourists visit the Dominican Republic annually, of which almost half comes to USA.
Tourism Minister Francisco Javier Garcia said earlier this month, "These are isolated incidents, and the Dominican Republic is a safe destination."
Who else got sick?
Dozens of other visitors said so too. After spending the past year in hotels and resorts across the country, they became ill.
A group of around 40 Oklahoma high school graduates said their trip was spoiled in early June when they ate at a Japanese restaurant owned by the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana, where two Americans died after being ill were.
"We just do not know what's going on," said Liz McLaughlin, whose daughter fell ill. Is it the water, is it the ice, is it the food, is it the food handling, is it the pesticides? Excursion to Hotel Riu Palace Macau in Punta Cana in April.
"The common thread of all who got sick is that they were swimming in the pool's pool bar and / or drinking a drink from the bar in the pool," said Dana Flower, a travel agent for the group. the Central Oklahoma Parrothead Association.
"So it could be related to this pool."