Coach Pat Shurmur gave a lot of hard talk after the giants were hit hard by the Vikings, and one wonders if his team will ever see another .500 this season.
At 2-3, the two-game victories are a thing of the past for the Giants, and in the future, casualties are born and cultivated. After meeting with the Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Thursday night, the odds are that the giants will be 2-4, considering the Patriots are undefeated and a muscular favorite with 17 points in the game.
Shurmur, while acknowledging the quality of the Vikings in Defense, called it a "bull-t mentality" to lose sleep when faced with a good defense. That's a good thing, otherwise Shurmur would not get a rest break this week to prepare for the Patriots, the NFL flag bearer, when it comes to defense and victory.
There's a good chance that the Giants will play a third consecutive game without play. Saquon Barkley is working against the superstar in this short week, running back to speed the healing time for his ankle sprain. Barkley is recovering remarkably fast, but he was not very close to playing against the Vikings. With a full week he might be able to play against the Patriots. He does not have a full week and it does not make sense to send him less than 1
"He is an outstanding player," Patriot coach Bill Belichick said Monday about Barkley. "We did not confront him and I hope we do not do it, we have to be ready for him, he's a very competitive guy, I'm sure he's doing everything to prepare for the start, I know he's last Week, so we'll probably get him. "
" He can do anything, he has great power and speed, they use him well in the passing game, and it's obviously very difficult to attack him in the open field Good visibility, good speed, he can play in space, he's elusive, he has power, he's as good as anyone we've seen in the movie, I'm sure he either is about to be back or about to be back, and we need to be prepared for him. "
More likely, the Patriots are making Jon Hilliman and Eli Penny run, or at least try to let the ball go impress en New England defense after Wayne Gallman suffered a concussion on Sunday. The improvement in the quality of the opponent did not go well in the 28:10 defeat against the Vikings and on Thursday night against the best of the best may not be so good.
This led to a tougher talk by Shurmur.
For one thing, you can not be discouraged, "he said. "I'm looking for people who get discouraged, these are the people we're going to get out of here – the ones who get discouraged." You can not be discouraged.
Check back late Thursday evening.
Other results of the game that ended the Giants' winning streak in two games:
– Does Golden Tate have a legitimate beef? his role? Tate played 46 of the 69 offensive snaps (67 percent) in his first game after being banned four times for violating the League's performance-enhancing substances guidelines. He would not get the same workload as Sterling Shepard (56 snapshots) right from the start. In addition, rookie Darius Slayton (45 snapshots) is an ascending player who was more effective than Tate (3-13) during his time on the field (four receptions for 62 yards and one touchdown). Tate got a pass on the first attack and another in the fourth. Tate has plenty of time to get involved, and when Shurmur was asked about Tate, he said, "We probably did not do enough to get enough boys' balls, partly because of who we played against, but I thought It's good to have him out there. "
– Every step of the way is another line in the Daniel Jones CV, and no one should be surprised that the beginner can take a lick and keep ticking dismissed from the Vikings, and in some circles it was a great surprise that the 22-year-old was able to get back on his feet to compete, did not you see Jones at Duke's? There were plenty of games in which the Blue Devils had too many One of those games in each season was against Clemson, and Dexter Lawrence, currently Jones' team-mate with the Giants, was always quick to praise Jones for the way he was doing Jones approached when Lawrence competed against Clemson. And what about the defensive end of the Vikings when Everson Griffen says, "He's shown courage, he's a good player, so I see good things for him in the future." Jones Shepard had his third pass in the game Shepard had defeated Cornerback Trae Waynes – but the pass was out of reach for Shepard on the Minnesota 20-yard line and should have been a 57-yard touchdown was nothing more than an incomplete pass. In the pocket Jones was leveled by linebacker Anthony Barr, which clearly affected Jones's throw. Jones was in there though. His next hurdle is to make the throw more accurate while drilling.
– The rookies take over the defense and that means growing pain. After Lorenzo Carter was eliminated because of a neck injury, Oshane Ximines started for the first time in the NFL and played 67 of the 71 defensive snaps. He had two tackles – one for a defeat – and one training to stop the run as Dalvin Cook seldom appeared on the edges. There was not much pressure on the quarterback from Ximines and that's his business card.
– Lawrence, another freshman, makes a difference. He played 53 defensive snaps – his previous high was 34 snaps – and the increased workload is a sign of the future. Lawrence had five tackles, a sack of Kirk cousins for a loss of 11 yards and a forced fumble. The big man is coming.
– Nate Solder has played the first seven years of his NFL career with the Patriots, but he will play for the first time against his former team without taking a strong position. Solder had a hard time with the Vikings. He was sentenced to two prison terms (one was denied) and he allowed two bags. Solder launched 95 games for the Patriots, but Belichick decided in 2018 not to pursue him aggressively in the free hand, and the Giants – desperate to misalign the Ereck Flowers – made Solder the (currently) highest-paid offensive lineman in the US NFL. For the $ 62 million four-year contract ($ 34.8 million guaranteed), the Giants bought a dependable, team-oriented mountain of a man who does and says the right things and is a durable but limited player. Solder had to undergo surgery this spring to remove bone spurs in his ankle, but he did not miss a start. "I did not play very well all season," Solder said after losing to the Vikings. "I sometimes felt like myself today, which made me happy. I think we need to build on that and continue to improve. "
– This would not work. David Mayo played 69 of the 71 defensive snaps and Nate Stupar played 37 snaps on the defensive and rookie Josiah Tauaefa made his NFL debut. The center-back position is down and Ryan Connelly and Alec Ogletree (thigh) and Tae Davis (concussion) are no longer playable at the end of the season. Harry Carson is often in the team setup for the broadcasting tasks of Giants. Take care of him. He is 65 years old, so he may need a break for each series.