INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A woman from Indiana almost lost her leg when she said she had contracted a bacterial infection during her family vacation while using a hot tub.
Taylor Bryant from Indianapolis said she and her family went on vacation to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, in March. Within days, she began to feel sick and cramped in her right leg. One morning, during breakfast, she told her husband that her leg would be examined by a doctor.
When she was urgently nursed, her ankle swelled and the pain in her calf increased. But when the doctors examined it, they could find nothing and tried to look for possible blood clots.
Bryant said these tests were negative and the doctors asked her about the activities she undertook during her vacation.
When? They learned she had visited a hot tub and suggested that she had possibly contracted Pseudomonas folliculitis or whirlpool folliculitis. The infection occurs when bacteria that adhere to the tub edges, if they are not properly cleaned, get into the hair follicles.
"You started me on an antibiotic and told me to take aspirin, but my family doctor advised me to have it checked ASAP," she said.
When Bryant flew home with her family, she said her calf was so swollen that she had difficulty walking. She also developed a rash. She used a wheelchair to visit her doctor because of the heavy swelling and pain.
Her doctor started antibiotics on 10 days and referred her to a wound specialist.
End of the year Bryant said that she had gone to the wound specialist for her antibiotic treatment, who immediately went to a doctor specializing in infectious diseases. She said that she would quickly escort her to a hospital where she began four days of intravenous antibiotic therapy. During that time, she said the skin on her calf had gone black, but it was easier to stand on her leg.
"After medications and creams, my skin dissolved and new skin grew well," she said. "(But) I was still pretty swollen for weeks."
Bryant used compression socks and continued to use antibiotic cream for her calf Looks different than the rest of her skin.
"I'm glad I still have a leg, but happier I'm still here today," she said. "I told myself it was my time to tell how I got that from a hot tub."
Bryant said she had filed an incident report with the hotel she used to live in.
This story was reported from Los Angeles.