قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Woman claims she lost her eye after the parasite got stuck behind the contact lens while showering

Woman claims she lost her eye after the parasite got stuck behind the contact lens while showering



WARNING: Graphic below.

A Belgian woman claims to have lost her right eye after a parasite caught behind the contact lens while showering, resulting in a rare but serious eye infection.

Recently, Petra van Kalmthout told the Daily Mail alleged incident occurred three years ago when she was on vacation. The woman said she was infected with an acanthamoeba parasite that led to keratitis ̵

1; a "rare but serious infection of the eye that can lead to permanent vision problems or blindness," according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

She had no symptoms at first, but a few days later, van Kalmthout said her eyes were "red and painful."

  Petra van Kalmthout shows a picture of her eye infected with the parasite. (CEN)

Petra van Kalmthout shows a picture of her eye infected with the parasite. (CEN)

"I had a party and my eyes hurt a bit in the evening. I immediately took out my contact lens. I threw it away. The next day my eye was red and even more painful, "she said in the publication.

Due to worsening pain, van Kalmthout sought a doctor at the Antwerp University Hospital, where the doctors found the parasites in the" cornea "of her right eye

MOM demands that she become blind after using the 20-year-old eye make-up

Unsuccessful attempts to remove the parasite led to the removal of van Kalmthout's Eye.

] According to the CDC, acanthamoeba keratitis is "most common in people who wear contact lenses." Anyone threatening to take a shower and swimming with the corrective lenses is most likely to be infected, the Acanthamoeba is in tap water and in swimming pools and even in heating and air conditioning equipment says the CDC.

  The Belgian woman was recently fitted for an ophthalmic prosthetic system. [19659008] The Belgian woman was recently adapted for an ophthalmic prosthetic system.
<span class= (CEN)

The infection can cause eye pain and redness, blurred vision, and a sense of something in the eye, the health department added.

Every year, an estimated 45 people in Belgium are infected with parasite, according to the Daily Mail.

CHILDREN'S DRESSES REMOVED AFTER "PIRATE PLAY" REACHES EXTREMELY RARE CANCER

"When I removed my eye, it was the end of a period of pain." She told the publication, adding that she wore an eye patch for three years before being recently adapted for an ocular prosthesis.

  Petra van Kalmthout said she wore an eyepatch for years before being used for a prosthesis. (CEN)

Petra van Kalmthout said she had worn an eye patch for years before adjusting it for a prosthesis. (CEN)

"Now that I finally have a prosthesis, I can take life into my hands again. I start with an evening dance, "she added.

As a precautionary measure, the CDC recommends removing contact lenses before taking a shower, swimming or soaking in a whirlpool. More tips for contact lens users can be found here.


Source link