NORFOLK, VA. – Amanda Edwards can laugh today when she thinks back on the beach in Virginia after only ten minutes in the water.
"I was just like," Oh my goodness … my leg will fall off "," chuckled Edwards. "That's the only thing I could think about."
She told WTKR that she had contracted a carnivorous staphylococcal infection on a fun-filled day at Norfolk's Ocean View Beach. She said the infection had spread quickly.
"The way it spreaded up my leg," Edwards explained.
It happened last week.
"I thought it was really hot, let's go to the beach," So we went outside to the beach, only about 1
The next day was fun
"I did that I did not feel well I noticed this thing on my leg I ignored it for a few days and it got bigger and bigger until I could not walk anymore," she explained.
She said that doctors had treated the infection and said the bacteria might have entered her skin through an open incision.
"They had to cut me up, drain them and fill them with gauze, and I had to keep them covered for days. "Edwards, who was on the beach with friends, said.
This was around the time when there was a swim notice.
There is no recommendation because there are no indications, "Edwards said.
The Norfolk Health Department told us that germs can enter the water in a variety of ways, such as washing off the bodies of swimmers or when people soften the water.
The health authorities are urging swimmers not to swallow water and take a bath after heavy rains. Do not swim if you are ill or have a weakened immune system, and do not swim near fishing poles, pipes, drains, and water that flows from the storm's outflows to the beach for the rest of the summer.
"Each time I go into the water, I think about these bad experiences."
Edwards has to take antibiotics for the next two weeks.
Once you get out of the water, health officials say you should take a shower with soap.