PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WVLT) – According to a report by WJHL, an Indianapolis woman is grateful that she is alive after suffering an aggressive bacterial infection.
Taylor Bryant believes that he intercepted the infection during a family vacation in Pigeon Forge.
Bryant went to an emergency clinic after she became ill and she had a cramp in her right leg during the trip. According to medical records, she was prescribed an antibiotic, but her condition did not improve.
"It started to bubble, and then it just went through and then went up again. The skin has died because it has become completely black and then again and again small pieces have flaked off.
After she returned home, she was diagnosed with cellulitis, a common bacterial infection that can become life-threatening if left untreated.
Doctors suspect that she has contracted an infection from a hot tub.
Bryant said her body continues to fight infection after weeks of taking antibiotics.
According to the Mayo Clinic, cellulitis is the most common cause of Streptococcus or Staphylococcal bacteria entering the body through broken skin.
There may also be an increasingly common, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection known as MRSA.
"Although cellulite can occur anywhere in your body, the most common place is the lower leg," reads the Mayo Clinic website. "Bacteria are most likely to invade disturbed areas of skin such as recent surgery, cuts, puncture wounds, ulcers, athlete's foot or dermatitis, and animal bites can cause cellulite, as well as invading dry skin." , scaly or swollen skin.
Untreated cellulitis can reach the deepest skin layer, which can lead to necrotizing fasciitis (carnivorous bacteria).
All persons with symptoms such as:
– Red Spots
– Skin Dents  Should see a doctor as soon as possible.  Copyright 2019 WVLT via WJHL All rights reserved.