A Texas woman has filed a $ 1 million lawsuit against a local buffet restaurant, claiming she got "Fried Rice Syndrome" after the meal.
Germaine Mobley, 62, had been dining in 2016 at Asian King Buffett in Waxahachie, Texas.
Mobley was a frequent customer in the restaurant and was there with a friend for her meal.
Germaine Mobley, 62, ate fried rice at Asian King Buffett in Waxahachie, Texas in 2016. When she got home, she became ill and was in intensive care for eight days  The woman "bought and consumed fried rice" according to court documents received by KHOU-11.
"Everything tasted good," she said. "After eating, I did not feel well on the way home."
The natives of Corsicana, Texas, said their health worsened rapidly when she got home.
She said, "I just started vomiting, and the next morning I was having trouble breathing, so my husband called an ambulance."
Court documents say, "Mobley took Bacillus cereus as a result of eating fried rice
Bacillus cereus is a bacterium that produces toxins found in foods that have been sown at room temperature for extended periods of time.
] It is commonly found in fried rice, with the Food and Drug Administration citing it as the cause of the "Fried Rice Synd
Symptoms of the syndrome are cramping, vomiting and diarrhea.
According to the US Department of Health and Social Affairs, they usually last 24 hours.
However, Mobley claims that she was in the intensive care unit for 8 days and needed a ventilator for two of those days. She had suffocated from her own vomit while wearing an oxygen mask.
"Fried Rice Syndrome sounds like a joke, but it's very serious," claimed Mobley's attorney Kathryn Knotts.
Bacillus cereus is a bacterium that produces toxins and is eaten in foods that are in the room has temperature for a long time. It is commonly found in fried rice, with the Food and Drug Administration citing it as the cause of the "Fried Rice Syndrome"
& # 39; you (Asian king) not keeping the food at the right temperature or keeping it for a long time.
The woman said she was unable to walk for a week, and after she left the hospital, she had to undergo rehab for three months.
Mobley said she had health complications before she left
She added that this probably contributed to her condition.
"You never dreamed that you would go eat and get sick," Mobley added, "Now I would not buy rice from a buffet eat … everywhere "[Camp]
" You never dream that you're going to eat and get sick, "Mobley added.
" Well, I would not eat rice from a buffet … everywhere. "
The restaurant has denied any wrongdoing and required evidence.
For the woman, it is imperative that people learn about the bacteria.
"You take the chance to get very sick when you eat at a rice buffet," Mobley said. "You could be the next person."