قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Yemen, shaken by a Saudi strike in the bus, kills 29 children

Yemen, shaken by a Saudi strike in the bus, kills 29 children



Dahyan, Yemen (AFP) – The remains of victims and children's clothing were scattered on Friday in a market in northern Yemen when the United States and the United Nations the previous day demanded an investigation into an air strike by a Saudi-led coalition called the 29 children killed in a bus

The Thursday strike on a busload of children in the Dahyan market in Huthi rebel stronghold Saada injured at least 48 others, including 30 children, according to the International Committee for the Red Cross

An AFP Photographer at the scene said the bus with the children had been turned into a mass of twisted metal, and the remains of victims and their personal belongings had been scattered across the floor.

"Remains are everywhere, we are still trying to confirm the identity," said Yahya Shayem, a health officer in Saada told AFP.

He could not confirm when funerals would be held for the victims.

The coalition that has always fought Yemen's rebels 20 He announced that the bus had carried "Huthi combatants".

He said the coalition had carried out a "legitimate military action" in response to a deadly rocket attack on Saudi Arabia on Wednesday

The heavy tribute on Thursday sparked calls from the head of the United Nations and the US State Department for one Investigation of the strike.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres pushed for an "independent and prompt" State Department investigation Speaker Heather Nauert said Washington "urged the Saudi coalition to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the incident."

"We call on the parties to take appropriate measures to protect the civilian population," Nauert said.

Massacre of children "-

A spokesman for the Red Cross in Sana'a told AFP that the toll was not final because the victims of the attack were taken to several hospitals.

" We need blood, "said Jameel al-Fareh, an emergency physician at Saadas Al-Jumhuri Hospital, urged local residents to donate blood for treatment of the wounded.

Ahmed al-Mansouri, director of the hospital, condemned what he claimed to be the "massacre [19659015] The coalition, which includes the United Arab Emirates, intervened in 2015 to rescue the internationally recognized government following the withdrawal of the rebels from the capital, Sanaa.

The Coalition Spokesman, Turki al-Maliki , the AFP said that the relief organizations are calling for the children on the bus to be "misleading" and that "the elements on the bus were Houthi fighters."

He said the rebels had "ballistic missiles threaten our national security, Saudi towns and villages on the border. The attack was today a sequel to neutralize this threat. "

Previously, Maliki accused the Houthis of" recruiting child soldiers, throwing them on battlefields and using them as tools. "

Saudi Arabia shot down a rocket The coalition was shot at by the Houthis on Wednesday, with a rubble Yemeni man killed and 11 others injured, said the coalition.

The rocket was fired from the Yemeni province of Amran towards the Saudi city of Jizan 19659021] – Houthis accelerate rocket attacks –

The Houthis have been attacking missiles in recent months Saudi Arabia launched Riyadh usually intercept

Wednesday's attack brings 167 rebel rockets launched since 2015

On August 2, attacks on a hospital and a fish market in the rebel-controlled port city killed Hodeida according to the ICRC at least 55 civilians and wounded 170.

The coalition dismissed the responsibility back fo

The CARE International charity found that Thursday's strike was a week after the Hodeida bombing.

"This latest air strike, just a week after the attacks on Hodeida, shows a continuing disregard for human life and suffering," said Johan Mooij, country director of the agency in Yemen.

"It's beyond cruel, the lives of innocent children have been lost."

The war in impoverished Yemen has cost nearly 10,000 lives and triggered the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

The UN envoy to the United States, Martin Griffiths, last week told the Security Council "a political solution" to Yemen's war was "available" and that the parties to the conflict would be invited to talks in Geneva on 6 September.

UN-brokered negotiations on Yemen in 2016 broke out of calls for a rebel from major cities and power-sharing with the Saudi-backed government.


Source link