قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Yemenis die as UAE and Saudi Arabia withhold aid: UN | news

Yemenis die as UAE and Saudi Arabia withhold aid: UN | news



United Nations – Yemenis are dying of cholera, hunger and other diseases because Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are failing to meet their funding commitments made earlier this year, a senior United Nations official warned Thursday.

Mark Lowcock, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator and Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs reported to the United Nations Security Council, while most of the 40 countries that had pledged in February had used up the relief money Abu Dhabi and Riyadh stopped.

"Those who made the biggest pledges ̵

1; Yemen's neighbors in the coalition – have so far paid only a modest part of what they promised," said Lowcock, referring to the coalition of the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and other states fighting in Yemen.

Governments promised $ 2.6 billion in February, including $ 500 million from the mega-donors Abu Dhabi and Riyadh. Without this money from the Gulf powers, the "response plan is currently only 34 percent funded," said Lowcock.

Lack of money has prompted United Nations-backed relief teams to do vital work in Yemen, where fighting has forced millions of people to do their jobs According to Lowcock, 24.1 million people – more than two-thirds of the population – needed help.

Abdallah al-Mouallimi, Saudi's UN ambassador, said his country has paid more than $ 400 million to the United Nations other aid agencies this year.

"This year alone … we paid more money to Yemen than any other donor in the world," Mouallimi told reporters.

Dirty Water

Reductions have led to disruption According to Lowcock, 9 million people, including 200,000 adolescents, are being vaccinated at medical facilities serving nine million Yemenis.

Work on 30 new feeding centers in the most famine-stricken parts of Yemen has led to a halt, and so many a The 60 centers could close their doors in the coming weeks and risk the lives of some 7,000 malnourished children he added.

"In [the capital] Sanaa, a United Nations-backed sewage treatment plant that processes water for agriculture has also been shut down," said Lowcock.

"This means that up to four million people could soon eat vegetables to water them. The polluted water increases the likelihood that they will develop cholera."

Yemen could be described by many experts as " "World's worst cholera epidemic" referred epidemic falling behind, said Lowcock.

Almost 500,000 cases of cholera have been reported earlier this year, a sharp increase over the 380,000 cases reported in 2018 and an indication that the infection error re-emerged.

"The death toll will certainly increase," Lowcock added.

& # 39; Just not enough & # 39;

The Saudi and Emirati missions to the United Nations in New York City did not answer Al Jazeera's request for comment immediately. Both countries claim to work hard to alleviate the humanitarian crisis in a country where they are militarily involved.

British Ambassador to the World, Karen Pierce, said that "just not enough" cash has so far been handed over and requested. "Donors to pay their funds swiftly to the United Nations-led appeal."

"There is a risk that this will escalate and we will go back two steps and three," Pierce said. "The risk of cholera returning is terrible and we have to do everything we can to stop it."

Tens of thousands of people have been killed since the military coalition led by the Saudi Arab Emirates intervened against the Iranian-aligned Houthi rebels and in support of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in March 2015.

The Conflict in Yemen erupted in late 2014 when Houthis conquered much of the country, including the capital Sana'a. The war is generally seen as a proxy battle between regional rivals Saudi Arabia and Iran.


Source link